Friday, March 28, 2014

Finally back in the saddle! (March 2014)

As of March 2014 it has been nearly 4 months since the removal of my Great and Lesser Saphenous veins in both of my legs via Radiofrequency ablation (VNUS system).  During my first marathon in Columbia S.C. this month I made excellent time up until mile 18-19, similar to Huntsville; however, like at Huntsville my cramping returned.  The difference this time was that I was properly hydrated and was using the Hammer supplemental salt capsules.  Another and more troubling difference was that the cramps again started in my inner thigh, but this time radiated throughout my legs and calves until I was almost immobile.  I completed the race, but my time was my second worst ever.  After trying to figure out what might be the problem and if I might be through with marathons I did some research and figured out that I just wasn't putting in the miles and that the cramps were from fatigue, not hydration or electrolyte issues.  With this in mind I returned to the trails the day after the marathon and ran up until my next race.  At the next marathon, in Georgia, it all came together.  I ran a pace on a much harder course that tied my PR at 3:47.  It was the fastest that I had ever run that course.  I also set a new PR for my 15k at another race along the way.  What's even better than my times is that recovery is almost instant.  I have very little soreness or fatigue just 48 hours after a marathon which allows me to return to running quicker.  Also, after this last marathon, not only was it at my PR, but I could also function pretty much like a normal human being after finishing.  I could eat, walk around and basically just take the rest of the day like anybody in my family that hadn't done anything physical.

I still want to push harder and try to really knock back some of my PRs a little more drastically, but being able to hit them or erase them and feel physically great afterwards is enough proof to me that the procedure was successful and worth both the time and cost.  Again; however, I would like to say that addressing venous insufficiency is more about how you feel and probably how long you live and less on the limitation of how fast you can make your body perform.   Especially if you are already using compression hoses, don't expect PRs to just erase themselves, they won't, but with enough hard work, you will be able to finish a race at or above previous levels and feel great doing it.




No comments:

Post a Comment