Saturday, December 28, 2013

1st Marathon After Surgery


Well I ran a marathon just before and just after the procedure and without a doubt it improves circulation and allows for less pain and heaviness in the legs during and after such events.  It also seems to allow for a quicker recovery time.  However, without proper training it doesn't, at least by itself, make you faster.  In addition; if you, like myself, battle cramps, don't expect them to resolve mysteriously either.  I didn't run for about a month between the surgeries and this last marathon, and although my half split was 1:47ish the cramps started after mile 18 and pretty much tanked me after 20.  I came in at 4:05, about 20 minutes off where I should have been.  I had hoped that the improved circulation that I feel/felt certain exists would decrease or resolve the cramps I battle so I didn't use the Hammer salt capsules I have come to rely upon.  The cramps only relocated from my calves and quads to my inner thigh and hamstring area on a course that was the flattest I had ever ran.  Long story short; if you have venous insufficiency, removal of the GSV will make you feel a lot better and allow you to push yourself harder thereby potentially making you faster, but don't think that it alone will do anything for your PR.  I plan to work pretty hard running up to my next marathon and will post if the combination of the GSV removal and proper training allows for a new PR or just for a more pleasant running experience at a non-improved pace.  I will be happy either way, but hope for a PR in the next 12 months, if not first quarter of 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment